Social Security Benefits


Saloom-Rega Funeral Home is trained to complete all the necessary paperwork required by the Social Security Benefits process.


Social Security survivors benefits help ease the financial burden that follows a worker's death. Almost all children under age 18 will get monthly benefits if a working parent dies. Other family members may be eligible for benefits, too. Anyone who has worked and paid Social Security (FICA) taxes has been earning survivors benefits for his or her family. The amount of work needed to pay survivors benefits depends on the worker's age at the time of death. It may be as little as 1 ½ years for a young worker. No one needs more than 10 years.


 Here is a list of family members who usually can get benefits: Widows and widowers age 60 or older. Widows and widowers at any age if caring for the deceased's child(ren) who are under age 16 or disabled. Divorced wives and husbands age 60 or older, if married to the deceased 10 years or more. Widows, widowers, divorced wives, and divorced husbands age 50 or older, if they are disabled. Children up to age 18. Children age 18 - 19, if they attend elementary school or high school full time. Children over age 18, if they became disabled before age 22. The deceased worker's parents age 62 or older, if they were being supported by the worker.


 In addition to the monthly benefits for family members, a one-time payment of $255 can be paid to a spouse who was living with the worker at the time of death. If there is none, it can be paid to: A spouse who is eligible for benefits. A child or children eligible for benefits. This payment cannot be made if there is no eligible spouse or child. HOW TO APPLY FOR BENEFITS: You can apply for benefits by telephone or by going to any Social Security office. You may need some of the documents shown in the Information Needed section below. But don't delay your application because you don't have all the information. If you don't have a document you need, Social Security can help you get it.


Your Social Security number and the deceased worker's Social Security number. A death certificate. Proof of the deceased worker's earnings for last year (W-2 forms or self-employment tax return). Your birth certificate. A marriage certificate, if you are applying for benefits as a widow, widower, divorced wife, or divorced husband. A divorce decree, if you are applying for benefits as a divorced wife or husband. Children's birth certificates and Social Security numbers, if applying for children's benefits. Your checking or savings account information, if you want direct deposit of your benefits. You will need to submit original documents or copies certified by the issuing office. You can mail them or bring them to the office. Social Security will make photocopies and return your documents.



You may contact the Social Security Office to find out what benefits are available for your individual circumstances, to change records, and to stop automatic deposits. For the local Social Security office nearest you

Click Here

The national phone number is 1-800-772-1213. For more information, write or visit any Social Security office, or phone the toll-free number. You will file Form SSA-721 which informs Social Security of a death. You need not order a certified copy of the death certificate to send to your Social Security Administration office.



Veterans Benefits

A. VA Cash Benefits For Reimbursement of Burial Expenses - $300 is available for an honorably discharged veteran, IF: they were in receipt of  VA non-service-connected disability pension benefits or service-connected compensation benefits at the time of death or IF the death occurred in a VA hospital, or VA contracted health care facility. Additional costs of transportation of the remains may be paid.


B. Active Duty or Service Connected Death - $2,000 is available IF the veteran died during active duty; or is an honorably discharged veteran and died as a result of a service-connected injury.


C. Burial Plot Allowance - $300 is available for an honorably discharged veteran not interred in a cemetery that is under the jurisdiction of the US government, IF: the veteran was receiving VA non-service-connected disability pension or service-connected compensation benefits at the time of death or IF the death occurred in a VA hospital, or VA contracted health care facility.


D. US flag - An honorably discharged veteran is entitled to a US flag provided by the Veterans Administration.


E. Headstone or Marker - In a National Cemetery, a veteran, spouse of veteran, and dependent children receive a free headstone. For burial in a private cemetery, a simple marker for veterans ONLY will be provided, if allowed by the cemetery officials. Reserved space for future inscription of spousal data may be allowed. The grave no longer has to be 'unmarked' unless the death was prior to September 11, 2001.


F. Burial in a National Cemetery - Free space is available for a veteran, spouse and dependent children (except Arlington). At the time of death, we will notify the US Department of Veteran Affairs.



For specific questions concerning eligibility claims and benefits please contact the Saloom-Rega Funeral Home, or visit


Grief Management Resources

Pathways to Peace  

We hope you are able to pause and reflect on the message shared in the Pathways to Peace presentation. As always, Pathways to Peace remains committed to providing wonderful and inspiring experiences of inner peace to all.

Parents of Murdered Children  

POMC® makes the difference through on-going emotional support, education, prevention, advocacy, and awareness.

Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors, Inc. (TAPS )  

a national non-profit organization made up of, and providing services to, all those who have lost a loved one while serving in the Armed Forces.

Center for Loss and Life Transition  

We publish books, articles and other resources to help people who are grieving. We are also an educational and training center for bereavement caregivers. If you are grieving or want to help others in grief, we invite you to explore our website.

Crisis, Grief and Healing  
This page is meant to be a place men and women can discuss, chat, or simply browse to understand and honor the many different paths to heal strong emotions.

Growth House, Inc.  

Growth House, Inc. provides this award-winning portal as your international gateway to resources for life-threatening illness and end-of-life care.

National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization  
Considered to be the model for quality, compassionate care for people facing a life-limiting illness or injury, hospice and palliative care involve a team-oriented approach to expert medical care, pain management, and emotional and spiritual support...

The Light Beyond  

You are not alone in your grief.... Someone you love has died. And, like countless others who have walked the path of grief before you, you are discovering that a death can rob you of so much more than a person you love. It robs you of your energy, your hope, and sometimes just of the simple will to get up in the morning. We are here to help during this difficult time. is an Internet community of persons dealing with grief, death, and major loss. We have 47 e-mail support groups and two web sites.

The Interview with God  

Our mission is to make a positive contribution to the well-being of our world, and to be a major and measurable force for good on the World Wide Web, by creating experiences of inspiration that warm the heart and touch the soul.

AARP Grief and Loss   

A Collection of Resources, A Community of Care.

Willowgreen is pleased to provide you with a series of inspirational pieces for your personal use.